Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Psalm

No more difficult battle have I fought a foe,
Then the battle to overcome an embittered soul.
Like twisted in an impenetrable twine,
A true sense of freedom I cannot find.
I struggle and fight, try to get free,
But the anchor of the menace is rooted in me.
The facade of victory lulls my heart,
Then suddenly I find myself back at the start.
A memory, a picture, a word takes me back,
All my effort folds under the attack.
Like a belch from deep inside my soul,
The bitter root just stops me cold.
Where is my justice, Lord, where is what's fair?
Do You see my hurt? Do You even care?
The guilt of that query, for I know that You do,
It's my embittered soul that accuses You.
You alone are my Hope, for the freedom I seek,
Praise You, Your strength perfect when I'm weak.
I must rise again, in this battle press on,
Never give in til the bitterness gone.
Praise You, praise You, You are why I'll forgive,
For in Your forgiveness and grace I do live.
Love You, love You, it's why I long to be free,
For You came to birth Your grace inside me.
Lead me, lead me, You alone are the Way,
To destroy this bitterness on a soon coming day.
Holding, trusting, believing in Your Word,
Confident, certain, that my prayers have been heard.

A Psalm by Diana DePriest
August 21, 2012

No comments: